Practicalities of running an event
This section includes practical information and useful contacts to help you get the logistics of your event right.
The Links tab gives contact details for useful local organisations who can help with the practical things you need for your event, like a venue, water and electricity supplies, tickets and first aid cover.
The Resource Centre has lots of equipment available to hire that you may find useful for your event. Whether it’s a meeting, summer fête or social evening, we may have something you need available at low cost to community groups in Sussex. Click on the Equipment tab to find out more.
Guidelines for risk assessing your group’s activities or your community venue to prevent the spread of Covid-19
However big or small your event is going to be, planning it will follow the same general pattern – and you will want to avoid the same common pitfalls!
An introduction to health and safety for community groups run by volunteers.
Tips to help keep track of your group’s cash when you’re running an event or stall
Holding a public meeting can be a really good way of building a campaign or getting more people involved in your group.
Information for community groups about providing childcare at a one-off community event.
A guide for community groups about how to respect people’s privacy when taking photos at your events
These books are available at the Resource Centre, to borrow or to use in the Centre.
- 501 more fundraising ideas
- A-Z of fundraising - 200 ideas for raising money
- First Aid Reference Guide (St John Ambulance 2012)
- Giving a little time
- Guidance to assist organisers of small events
- Guide to health, safety and welfare at pop concerts and similar events
- Health and safety at outdoor community events (Part 1 & 2)
- How to be a fundraising champion - a practical manual for young activists
- Organising local events
- The good practice safety guide for small and sporting events taking place on the highway, roads and public places
- The Health and Safety Handbook for voluntary and community organisations
- Tried and tested ideas for local fundraising events
- Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
Equipment available from the Resource Centre
- Collection buckets
- Collection tins
- Folding bench
- Induction loop
- Infra-red hearing system
- Marquee (2x3m)
- Marquee (event shelter 4.5m x 4.5m)
- Marquee (large, 3 x 4.5m)
- Megaphone (30W)
- Megaphone (60W)
- PA 1 and PA 2 (50W)
- PA 3 (battery powered, lightweight, in a backpack)
- PA 4 and 6 (Alto Spectrum with LED lights)
- PA 5 (very small and portable)
- PA 7 and PA 8 (80W)
- PA 9 (80W with extra microphone)
- Portable induction loop
- Water Boiler
Equipment available from other suppliers
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
The Events team have lots of useful information and advice on organising events, especially on public land in Brighton & Hove.
An excellent online guide to how to organise a street party, and ideas for activities. Contains advice about everything from applying to close your street to making your own bunting!
Specialist insurance supplier for not-for-profit organisations.
They offer a range of insurance policies designed specifically for community groups, including public liability insurance and special insurance for street parties.
They are a not-for-profit organisation themselves, and money made goes to the charity Create.
- Barn Dance callers
- Catering service
- Catering van
- Community venues
- First aid cover at events
- Health and Safety Information
- Information about running gambling activities such as raffles or bingo
- Information on insurance
- Information on organising a street party
- Information on rooms for hire
- Information on running events and festivals
- Insurance suppliers
- Interpreting and translating
- Land for outdoor events
- Licences to play music at public events
- Pony rides
- Risk Assessment (Health and Safety / Fire)
- Water supply at outdoor events