Running a Community Building
Community buildings and community rooms can be really important, valuable places for local people to meet and do things together. Having a place to go helps people get to know other people who live close to them, and also makes it easier for groups to get together and organise things.
This section provides advice about some of the things to consider when running a community building or a community room.
An introduction to health and safety for community groups run by volunteers.
Information to help community groups decide if they need public liability and/or employer’s liability insurance.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, to borrow or to use in the Centre.
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- Finding and running premises
- Getting greens registered
- Making space: protecting and creating open space for local communities
- Managing your community building: a practical handbook for people running buildings in local communities
- Occupying community premises
- Spaces between: Community action for urban open space
- Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.Other services you might find useful
- Advice about equality and diversity
- Archives relating to Brighton and Hove local history
- Computer Recycling
- Fire Protection
- Getting outside help with design and planning
- Health and Safety Information
- Information on food hygiene
- Information on legal issues
- Information on neighbourhood design and planning
- Information on rooms for hire
- Information on running outdoor community spaces
- Insurance suppliers
- Licences to play music at public events
- Licences to show films at public events
- Paint recycling
- Portable Appliance Testing (PAT testing)
- Risk Assessment (Health and Safety / Fire)
- Tax and insurance training