Statistics and data
Other people who can help with Statistics and data
The council's Economic Development Team offers a range of support services to businesses, such as information and contacts relating to starting a business and access to finance for business.
Statistics website for Brighton & Hove. Up to date reports on local neighbourhoods and searchable data on the whole city.
In 2011 they published their State of the City report (PDF) which is easy to use and full of useful statistics about the population of Brighton and Hove.
The census is a national survey of the whole population of the UK, carried out by the government every 10 years. The Census 2011 website provides data from the 2011 census for England and Wales.
Their website has a research page with a range of useful reports and publications.
Finding volunteers, Help with developing policies and sample policies, Help with fundraising, Information about managing volunteers, Information on funding sources, Information on managing community and voluntary sector groups, Information on running a group, Networking and finding other community groups, One to one support with managing money, Providers of example equal opportunities policies, Statistics and data, Training for community groups, Training in book-keeping
Community Works runs the following projects for the voluntary sector in Brighton & Hove:
- A network of elected representatives, who speak on behalf of the sector at council and strategic partnership meetings.
- Six-monthly conferences and other networks where community and voluntary groups can get together and share experiences, information and views
- Volunteer Centre services:
- You can advertise volunteer opportunities on the Community Works website.
- They have a good practice guide for community groups who work with volunteers. It includes sample forms and policies for groups to adapt.
- Regular forum for volunteer managers.
- Face to face appointments every Thursday at the Job Centre and Community Works offices for people seeking volunteer work (book in advance on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01273 234860)
- Support for trustees and management committee members
- Business skills volunteering, which brokers relationships between voluntary groups and businesses
- A programme of training courses
- A mentoring scheme
- One-to-one consultancy
- A funding bid reading service
- A bank of sample policies and procedures, to help larger organisations develop their own policies.
- free half-hour one-to-one advice surgeries on any topic. These run on the last Tuesday of each month, between 2pm and 4.30pm. You need to book in advance - email email@example.com or call 01273 234023
They have an electronic voting system which is available to hire. This consists of hand-held pads which can be used by people in a meeting to vote. The results are then displayed instantly on a laptop. They also have a wooden ballot box, which groups can borrow.
The National Statistics website publishes results from lots of different government research. You can use the website to search for information about particular topics or local areas.
Wheel Chair Loan
They run the Shopmobility service, which can lend a wheelchair or scooter for people who need to borrow one for a short time. Shopmobility Tel: 01273 32 32 39, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Possability People also run It's Local Actually - an online tool that lets people search for services and group activities near them in Brighton & Hove. It contains details of local groups, community centres and statutory services. You can search using a map or look for a particular type of group (eg meeting people, sport, self-help).
They have an award winning Accessibility Guide which includes information about accessible services and buildings in Brighton and Hove.
They have a programme of training courses for businesses and charities, covering disability awareness, benefits, IT and group management skills.