This training course is organised by Brighton & Hove City Council’s corporate training section. It is open to community and voluntary sector (CVS) organisations as well as council staff.
Who should attend
Children’s Services, schools, early years and CVS staff working with children and young people.
This course highlights changing patterns of migration to the UK and specifically to Brighton & Hove, equipping professionals with background knowledge to help with assessing the needs of a child or family from a refugee or migrant background, including those with insecure immigration status. This interactive course will also introduce participants to other organisations and agencies working in this field within the city and will promote good practice in working with vulnerable migrant families.
Benefits and learning outcomes to you and the organisation
By the end of the course you will:
- Identify current trends in international migration to Brighton & Hove and define common terms relating to asylum and immigration
- Describe the legal processes that migrants pass through during their stay in the UK and how this could impact on a family’s resources and ability to cope
- Examine assessing and meeting the needs of a household from a migrant community
- Explain where and how to refer refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants locally for ongoing support
Duration: 1 day
27 November 2013
Lucy Bryson, Community Safety Manager – Refugees and Migrants. Lucy has been working with refugees and migrants for twenty years. She has been based in the City Council’s Partnership Community Safety Team for ten years and has been running training sessions of this nature throughout that time. She is also the Chair of Brighton & Hove Refugee & Migrant Forum.
- Children’s Services staff, school staff, foster carers and CVS groups working in Brighton & Hove – FREE
- Private organisations, independent schools, colleges, police, probation and those working outside of Brighton & Hove – £120 per person
NB. £50 Late cancellation fee applies to all bookings
How to apply
Download and return this application form