Henry Smith Charity: County Grants
Grants available for: Revenue or capital costs for small, non-profit organisations working with disadvantaged people and communities in eight English counties, including East and West Sussex.
Size of grants given: £500 to £10,000 in one year, or up to £20,000 over two or three years.
Deadline: 30th September 2021
Aims of Fund
Priority is given to work benefiting groups experiencing social and/or economic disadvantage and to work that tackles problems in areas of high deprivation (i.e. areas in the bottom third of the National Indices of Deprivation).
Who can apply
Registered charities with an annual income of less than £250,000 that are based in East Sussex, West Sussex, Kent, Hampshire (including Southampton and the Isle of Wight), Leicestershire, Suffolk, Surrey or Gloucestershire (including Bristol and South Gloucestershire).
The Henry Smith Charity also run different grant programmes which are open to organisations in other areas of the UK, or with higher incomes. See their website for more information.
How much and what can you apply for?
- The minimum you can ask for is £500.
- The maximum one year grant you can ask us for is £10,000.
- The maximum multi-year grant you can request is £20,000. You can ask for this to be spread over either two or three years.
- Grants can be used towards running costs, salaries, project costs, or one-off capital expenditure such as building refurbishment or equipment.
- Capital grants must be used within six months of award. If you are applying for a contribution to a large capital project, you must have 75% of the funding secured before making your application. Applications for small capital expenditure can be made at any time, without match funding.
Priority is given to work with groups:
- experiencing social and/or economic disadvantage; and
- tackling problems in areas of high deprivation (ranked in the bottom third of the Indices of Multiple Deprivation).
Grants are given for work in the following categories:
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic
- Community Service
- Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Drugs, Alcohol and Substance Misuse
- Ex-Service Men and Women
- Family Services
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Prisoners and Ex-offenders
- Sex Work and Trafficking
- Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Young People
County Grants made in Brighton and Hove:
- Brighton Pebbles, £5,740, towards one year’s salary costs of Playworkers for a project supporting families with disabled children in Brighton & Hove
- Pathways to Health, £5,000, towards one year’s running costs of a community health project offering ear acupuncture treatment for people with and/or affected by substance use, mental health issues in East Sussex
- Time to Talk Befriending, £5,000, towards one year’s running costs of a project providing support and befriending services to lonely older people in Brighton & Hove
How to apply
They also provide lots of useful information to help you with your application. It’s a good idea to download their full guidelines and read them through carefully to maximise your chances of submitting a successful application. The full guidelines include a list of the types of project they will not fund.
Deadlines for application
This fund will be closing for good in October 2021. Final application deadline is 30th September 2021. Decisions take between 3-6 months.
Contact detailsThe Henry Smith Charity
65 Leadenhall Street
EC3A 2AD Phone number: 020 7264 4970
Page last updated: 5/8/21 RL